Hi all.
I have recently found out that my twin nephews have been diagnosed with Autism. One has GDD, Global Developmental Delay, and is lower on the spectrum, but the other is high spectrum and will require full time support and will be attending a special school. It's sad that the twins will be separated when they embark on their time at school, but to be honest, that's me talking. They don't actually acknowledge each other in their own home so I'm not entirely sure they will notice.
I would like you to take a look at Faith Jegede's talk on the Ted Talks conference.
Faith Jegede is a British writer, poet and blogger. Remi aged 22 and Samuel aged 16 are her brothers and they both are on the Autism Spectrum. She talks about the difficulties her family have felt living and supporting two autistic children, however the premise of the talk is how we all perceive autism and the human beings that have it. She explains that we can all strive to be somebody else in life but then we loose our individuality. And that is her point. Individuality! We are all different, and being Autistic means exactly that. These people are not strange or abnormal, they are individuals, with their own brilliance's. Faith teaches us that their behaviour is a 'different kind of right', and what they do and how they behave is not wrong, it's just them.
Faith Jegede's speech is inspiring, and heart felt. It comes from her own experiences of loving her brothers and the discrimination that comes from being an individual. She finishes her speech by telling her audience 'Please don't tell me I'm normal', a powerful ending which I feel myself. So, 'please don't tell me I'm normal', because I am just me.
Speak soon :-)
Caroline
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment