JellyPages.com

Friday, 21 December 2012

Wonderful Wordnik





Hi All.

Back again so soon I hear you all say! Well, I am here to tell you all about a fantastic web2 page that I have discovered. Wordnick is an amazing IT tool that can be used in the classroom and at home. It can be used by young and old and I'm actually disappointed that I have not found it before now. With low PISA results in Welsh schools and the new emphasis on literacy skills for all, this site I believe is an essential tool for education. It has a very basic look about it, and is not colourful and visually pleasing, but it does not need to be. What it does speaks volumes. If you need to find a meaning for a word, you type it in and all meanings possible will appear. Related words are there too. My favourite part was 'The word of the day.' These unusual words like fumblewinter (a long winter before the end of the earth), nemophilist ( a wood or grove lover) or fascicle (a group or small cluster) could be used with so much fun in literacy lessons. Finding new words to use in verbal sentences or written comprehensions is a fantastic way to improve a child's and your own vocabulary. For you brain boxes that know another definition of a listed word, you can comment on the community page and discuss the findings. Wouldn't it be fabulous if a pupil found a new definition for themselves! Have a look for yourself at www.wordnik.com.

I just love it!

Speak soon :-)

Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment